Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why?

Pieper is into asking questions lately and at times it drives me crazy because everything is always followed with the question "why". Not every why question can be answered. There comes a point where you just run out of answers and that is not good enough for Pieper. It's not like she is trying to be difficult she is just curious (and probably wants to prolong whatever it is that I am asking her to do). The other day we had such a conversation and it went like this:

Me: "Eat all your food Pieper."
Pieper: "Why?"
Me: "Because it's yummy."
Pieper: "Why?"
Me: "Because I made it."
Pieper: "Why?"
Me: "Because you said you were hungry."
Pieper: "Why?"
Me: "Because you haven't eaten since breakfast."
Pieper: "Why?"
Me: "Because I didn't get you anything and it's lunch time and we don't eat all day long."
Pieper: "Why?"

So at this point am I supposed to answer why I didn't get her anything or why it is lunchtime or why we don't eat all day long? Can you see my frustration. It just gets a little confusing for me and I can't think up enough reasons for everything. Sometimes I'll just tell her "because I said" which is promptly followed by a "why" from Pieper. Hopefully we can soon grow out of this stage and start having meaningful conversations that don't involve "why."

4 comments:

angela said...

that would drive me crazy...max is just at the copy cat stage whic is bad enough...but what do you do, they are so funny!!

Anonymous said...

I know, when we took them to church- Joseph was showing her some of the pictures in the primary manual. He said, "This is Joseph Smith" and her response was , WHY? And so the conversation continued for all of the pictures.

Jennifer said...

I think the why stage is pretty hilarious (when it's not your own child going through it!) I just always told Kynli, "becuase that is how Heavenly Father wants it!"

Melanie said...

I started answering "I don't know" when I was ready to be done with those conversations and it worked! My kids might think I'm not very smart, but I'm totally okay with that. ;)