Thursday, January 7, 2010

Growing Up is Hard to Do

I am having mixed emotions about Harrison growing up. I am glad that he is getting older and more independent but at the same time it makes me nervous for the future. Harrison is a stubborn boy and that stubborness (is that even a word) seems to be showing more and more each day.

Last Saturday we took Harrison, Parker, and Jordan to the movie and afterwards we went to the mall to buy Harrison a new pair of shoes. Every pair that I picked out he hated for some reason. I think I have fairly good taste and I KNOW I wasn't picking out ugly shoes but for some reason he did not like anything I picked. I finally told him to show me what he wanted and of course he picked the UGLIEST shoes ever. I flat out told him that I didn't like them and that only made things worse and after that he shut down and wouldn't even talk to me but I was not going to give up so we went to try the UGLY shoes on. Secretly I was praying that they wouldn't have his size and much to my relief they didn't. Well the dang salesman who was so efficient and willing to make a sale showed Harrison another pair of even UGLIER shoes and of course he loved them.

So I decided to give in and let him buy the shoes (after Jeff reminded me that I wasn't going to be the one wearing the shoes) but my mind was quickly changed when he told us that the price was $120. I told Harrison that I was willing to pay $60 and he could pay the rest.

He sat there for a minute and after some thought he said, "Well I don't have that kind of money and even if I did I wouldn't spend it on a pair of shoes." Wow...I guess we taught him right after all. So after looking around a little bit more we settled on a pair of Addidas that are nice looking and they only cost $60.

I would have posted a picture of the shoes but unfortunately they weren't in stock so we had to have them delivered to our house and they haven't come yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He's pretty much a teenager now! That's what teenagers do I think (drive their parents crazy). Good Luck! He's a good kid & you guys have raised him right. He's going to turn out great one way or another!

Cheree said...

I think that whenever a parent expresses their opinion on anything, their pre-teen will think just the opposite. I am starting to deal with that myself. I sounds like you are teaching him well.